Sunday, October 16, 2016

Great Lakes and Upper South in the News: "In Richmond, Ill., younger crowd brings new businesses, new life to small town" from the Chicago Tribune

Great Lakes and Upper South in the News: "In Richmond, Ill., younger crowd brings new businesses, new life to small town" from the Chicago Tribune

Antique stores. Lots of them. That's what I remember about this McHenry County town tucked below the Wisconsin border.

When I was a kid growing up in suburban Chicago, my family spent many a summer weekend up north, near Lake Geneva, Wis. My sister, brother and I knew we were almost there when our station wagon would come to a crawl in traffic on U.S. Route 12, running right through the heart of Richmond.

The station wagon is long gone. I'm grown up and live in the city. But I continue to make that trip up north, routinely passing through this place with a population just shy of 1,900.

Continued on website.

Link:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/travel/ct-rebirth-of-richmond-illinois-travel-1009-20160927-story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment