Sunday, November 6, 2016

Great Lakes and Upper South in the News: "Signs of the Ice Age in Wisconsin's Kettle Moraine" from the Chicago Tribune

Great Lakes and Upper South in the News: "Signs of the Ice Age in Wisconsin's Kettle Moraine" from the Chicago Tribune

The directions I found online for following the Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive in eastern Wisconsin seemed daunting. Go south two-tenths of a mile, then north 1.7 miles, then east 1.3 miles — on and on, with dozens of turns, for 115 miles. Adding to my trip-planning anxiety were road names like County ZZ and parenthetical instructions like "Past Old Plank Road Trail."

How would I figure this out while driving around a place I'd never been? I not only can't read maps, I can't even follow verbal instructions from my GPS without getting lost. I called the Kettle Moraine State Forest headquarters and asked, "Isn't there an app for this route?"

"Just stop at every intersection to look for the signs," a ranger told me. "You'll be fine."

Continued on website.

Link:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/travel/ct-signs-of-the-ice-age-in-wisconsin-s-kettle-moraine-20161019-story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment