Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Great Lakes and Upper South in the News: "Lake Michigan ferry turns humdrum travel into unforgettable experience" from the Chicago Tribune

Great Lakes and Upper South in the News: "Lake Michigan ferry turns humdrum travel into unforgettable experience" from the Chicago Tribune

My first trip on a Lake Michigan ferry was 25 years ago, and it didn't go as planned.

I was working a Saturday shift at the Chicago Sun-Times, facing a six-hour, late-night drive to Frankfort, Mich., to meet my then-girlfriend/now-wife. There was a story in the paper about the SS Badger, a ferry between Wisconsin and Michigan.

I'd read about crossing the lake by ferry in William Least Heat-Moon's 1982 road-trip classic, "Blue Highways: A Journey into America," and always wanted to give it a try. A plan was hatched.

I'd book myself on the midnight boat, walk the decks a bit and maybe have a beer or two, then spend the rest of the four-hour crossing sleeping in my car. We'd hit the dock in Ludington, Mich., at 5 a.m., and I'd roll into Frankfort for breakfast, bearing tales of my trans-Great Lake adventure.

Continued on website.

Link:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/travel/ct-lake-michigan-ferries-travel-0430-20170413-story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment